Once Upon A Time
If you are looking to register, please post your username under the "Applications" category and introduce yourself in the "Introductions" category.
Once Upon A Time
If you are looking to register, please post your username under the "Applications" category and introduce yourself in the "Introductions" category.
Once Upon A Time
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Once Upon A Time

A creative writing forum where we can create and share stories of all genres.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Joker
Admin
Admin
Joker

Character sheet
Name: Amus
Profession: Assassin, the Wind

Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment Empty
PostSubject: Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment   Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 3:29 pm

The Hammerstone dwarves set up their forward encampment in a clearing in the southeastern part of the mountains. Close enough to the orcs to keep an eye on them, but far enough to havep lenty of warning of any impending raids. There is one main path into the camp, guarded with palisades and constant gate wardens. Within the palisades are pitched over a dozen tents. Mosto f them are sleeping quarters, with two larger tents in the center of the clearing. One is the feast tent, where warriors are often found drinking mead and eating piles of potatoes and venison. The second tent is the meeting tent, where the commander, Elfricht, lays out the battle plans for the upcoming weeks, as well as emergency gatherings to discuss the defences for an imminent orc raid. This tent is also used for the many dwarvish celebrations. In the back of the clearing, there is an entrance to a cave, recently dug out for the purpose of the encampment. This is the Ceremonial Burrow, where blood rituals and religious gatherings to worship the mountains are held. There is a smaller cave that branches off from it, which houses all of the captured prisoners.
Back to top Go down
Joker
Admin
Admin
Joker

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment   Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 3:47 pm

The duo approached the thick palisades guarding the entrance to the Hammerstone dwarf encampment. Two dwarves armed with throwing axes were positioned in watch towers, with four more stationed in outcroppings in the cliffs on either side, similarly armed. The guard in the right tower spotted Gerwulf and Alden, and whistled for the gate to open. As the portculis was raised, six guards, heavily adorned with plate armor, shields, and battleaxes emerged to greet Gerwulf and his human companion.

Gerwulf held his hand out to stop Alden, and raised Shiva in greeting. "Hail, Hodgel!"

The dwarf at the point of the formation raised his axe in response. "Hail, Gerwulf. Welcome back. How went the hunt?"

"Quite well. Knocked down quite a few orcs, with the help of me friend here."

Hodgel laughed. "Gerwulf in need of assistance? That's a first! Well met, friend." He raised his axe toward Alden. "A friend in battle is always welcome in our home."

Gerwulf led Alden through the gate into the encampment. The guards filed in behind them as the gate clicked shut behind them. Hodgel waddled up beside Gerwulf. "So, how'd you meet this fellow? Mighty strange symbol on his tunic."

Gerwulf nodded. "'Tis a long story. I'll be needin' to meet with Elfricht. Is he in his tent?"

Hodgel shook his head. "He's out on a raid. A relatively small band of orcs set up camp a mile north of us. He took a regiment to go clear 'em out." Hodgel's thick brogue was even more distinct than Gerwulf's. He wore a plain skullcap and breastplate, with a round wooden shield and a beautifully decorated battleaxe. There were many scars on his face and arms, a testament to his many years of experience in battle. As captain of the guard, he was well respected, but slow to anger. Except when dealing with orcs, of course.

Gerwulf nodded grimly. "Aye, then I'll meet with him in the morning. I'll be takin' Alden here to get some food and drink, and then let him get some rest. He's had quite a bit of excitement today." He leaned in closer to whisper to Hodgel, "I'll talk with ye once the lad's asleep. There's trouble lurking about the hills tonight. We'd best up the guard for a while. I'll explain after we've had some rest." Hodgel nodded gravely and turned back to man his post. He called for a few other guards to get geared up to take a post on his way back.

Gerwulf noticed that Alden seemed oddly nervous. "Don't worry lad, the dwarves here are mighty welcomin'; not like our Brimstone cousins. Let's get you some good dwarven mead and a bowl of vension soup. That'll lift yer spirits!" Gerwulf gave him a solid pat on the back and led him to a table in the feast tent.
Back to top Go down
prestige1994
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
prestige1994

PostSubject: Re: Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment   Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Alden replies, "Excuse my rudeness, I will enjoy something to eat. It's been... God how long have I starved myself!", and starts eating the soup, and drinking the mead, slowly enjoying his long-awaited meal.

As the two eat Alden tells Gerwulf, "We might have to venture at dawn to find the witch so she shall naught cause any more choas, or harm towards any innocents.". Gerwulf nods, and when the two finish their meals the dwarf leds Alden to his sleeping quarters. Alden collapses onto his bed, and falls into deep sleep.
Back to top Go down
Joker
Admin
Admin
Joker

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment   Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 12:29 am

Gerwulf left the weary soldier to his well deserved rest. The camp was still very busy, even this long into the night. Orcs are crepuscular, so the dwarves had adapted to being prepared for battle both day and night. Each day, half of the camp slept while the other half of the troupe went about daily (or nightly) business and prepared the camp for anything that might happen. Of course, there were a few who were forced into positions where they were part of both shifts, including Elfricht and Hodgel. Despite being the most veteran warrior of the bunch, Gerwulf wasn't in any leadership position that required him to be available at any time of day.

Hodgel was resting on a sleeping mat outside of the tent that he shared with his wife. This served as his break spot, where he would catch an hour or so of rest between shift changes. Currently, he was awake, playing gumbol with his well-used set of chips. "Hodgel, do ye have a few moments? I'd like to speak with ye about the boy."

Hodgel didn't look up from the setup. "Aye, just a moment. Let me finish this round up. Just a few more moves." He switched some pieces around, smield contentedly, and slid the game pieces off to the side of his mat. "So where'd ye meet 'im?"

Gerwulf plopped down beside his friend. "I was hunting a pack of orcs when I came across this boy. He was down to the south fendin' off a yeti with almost no trouble at all. You know as well as I do that no ordinary man can take on a yeti, and this one was a matron. It usually takes a pair of dwarves to handle one o' those wenches." Hodgel listened quietly. He made no comments, so Gerwulf continued to tell him the whole series of events. "And the strange thing is, the witch wasn't frightened at all by Shiva's power. Makes me wonder a bit if she's seen somethin' like it before."

Hodgel leaned back on his elbows and thought for a few moments. "Well, neither have any of the dwarves. Just because it was restin' on a pedestal in the Black Cave don't mean it's one of a kind." He added, "This woman sounds like someone to be cautious of. I wonder if Elfricht has run into her tonight." Hodgel's cool, relaxed manner always set Gerwulf's nerves at ease. The captain either didn't know fear, or had it jailed up in a pouch somewhere on his belt. He looked at everything rationally, never overreacting to a situation. He was, in all definitions of the term, a natural leader.

"I hope not. I doubt I would have been in a healthy condition if it weren't fer Alden. He knows her from his world, so he had an idea of what she could do. Elfricht hasn't any idea though. I hope he gets back all right. She was headed south though, so I'm sure there's nothin' to worry about." Gerwulf smiled, his fears put to rest. "The boy has plenty of potential. I figure we can give him some training, and teach him the ways aroudn the mountains, and he'd be a right nice addition to our forces, at least fer the time bein'."

Hodgel nodded. "I'll leave that up to you. The orcs have been roaming the unguarded paths as of late, so ye should be fine teaching him the roads." He stood and whistled to the gate watchers. "Time to take me post. Get some rest. I think Elfricht has a job for ye in the mornin'. G'nite brother."

"G'nite Hodg." Gerwulf hobbled off to his tent, still tired from using Shiva earlier that day. I wonder what Elfricht has for me tomorrow. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be a good idea to have the boy with me. Gerwulf laid his head on his firm sleeping pad and let himself drift off to dreams of victory and war.
Back to top Go down
prestige1994
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
prestige1994

PostSubject: Re: Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment   Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Dawn arrives with the sun slowly rising behind the mountains, and illumintaing the Hammerstone encampment.
Alden awakes, still in his armor with his at his side, and walks out of his tent finding the mountain lion under the witch's spell, laying on the ground waiting for him.
The knight reaches for his weapon, but the mountain lion still remains on the ground. Now Alden notices a parchment tied around the lions neck. He calmly approaches the lion, with sword at the ready, and takes the message of the lion. The beast runs of in response, completing its task.
Alden watches the animal run off, and turns his attention to the message and begins reading it...
Our destinies intertwine,
We were ment to battle till one remains,
I shalt seek thou in the future Sir Alden,
Be weary of my presence,
Alaina le Fay

Alden finishes the mesage and stuffs in his chainmail, and walks around the camp in search of Gerwulf.
Back to top Go down
Joker
Admin
Admin
Joker

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment   Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 10:26 pm

Gerwulf sat contentedly on a stool in the feast tent, nursing his second mug of ale that morning. Every morning, the dwarf treated himself to two pints of ale, a fist full of cliff-berries (though the men of Garamad call them nuts), and several pieces of assorted meats boiled by the women who run the feast tent. Now, dwarves are renowned for their drinking skills, but Gerwulf nearly spewed his latest mouthful of Hillcrest ale when Alden sat down beside him with a plate full of sausages, bacon, fruits, nuts, and his own pint of Hillcrest.

"Oi, as scrawny as ye are, ye can sure eat yer fill." Alden didn't reply, as he was shoveling the food into his mouth. "Well, I'm glad to see that yer warmin' up to the hospitality." Gerwulf patted him on the back, nearly making him choke on an apple chunk. "How'd ye sleep, boy? I hope the mats weren't too firm fer yer thin backbone." Gerwulf chuckled, refraining from inducing more choking. Gerwulf pushed his plate aside, and it was soon taken by one of the many wives staffing the feast tent. "Hurry and finish yer meal, though don't ye go killin' yerself. Elfricht needs to speak to me, and whatever he has me doin', I'm takin' you with me. We'll need to tell him about last night too." He stood and downed his pint, plopping it back down on the table, quite satisfied. Alden had stopped eating, but seemed rather distracted as he stared off toward the mountains. "Is somethin' on yer mind, me boy?"
Back to top Go down
prestige1994
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
prestige1994

PostSubject: Re: Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment   Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Alden removes the letter from his chainmail and hands over it to Gerwulf.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment   Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hammerstone Dwarf Encampment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Once Upon A Time :: Fantasy :: Story - Brayst-
Jump to: